Wednesday, June 10, 2009
Thursday, June 4, 2009
Wednesday, May 27, 2009
Friday, May 15, 2009
Here are some video "How To"s to watch. (If one isn't downloading well, go to the next one and return to the original one later.)
Cool Your Pop:
Reduce Tooth Pain
How to Kiss
Choose a Tatoo
TODAY'S ASSIGNMENT: Here is what you need to "Blog" about:
a) Which is you favourite?
c) What tip is the most important?
d) If you were to add a tip to improve the "how to" what would you suggest? (Please add something!)
Not long ago, a student handed in a brilliant "How to" project. It looked like this: http://www.doityourself.com/stry/h2buildadeck. Unfortunatley it was PLAGERIZED from the internet. Use the internet to get ideas or cite sources if you use them as a resource, but this project is meant to come from your own knowledge and experience. Choose something you're good at and have fun!!! (Needless to say the afore mentioned student got a zero and failed the course - plagerism is the worst academic crime possible!)
The internet can be a useful tool. If you have an idea, check out some tips here, if you wish. (If they have it.)
When your blog is done, you are free to research your "how to" topic on google, wikipedia or anywhere else you would like on the internet! Try to narrow down your choice soon! Write everything in your own words! Feel free to download any pictures you might find useful in this project.
Monday, May 11, 2009
You now have some time to work on the 4 different sections of this project. Some ideas for using computer time to your advantage:
A - Character - make sure your Facebook page is full of things that apply to your character and what they did in the novel. Please put your own name somewhere obvious.
B - Book Back - word process this so that grammar and spelling are correct. Use some proof readers. Why not get some pictures or quotes and make it look like a REAL book back?
C - Setting - maybe there are some images or headings that you could print off to make your setting work look even better!
D - Themes - word process your list and your 3 paragraphs to be sure they are edited correctly. Again, USE PROOFREADERS!!!
Use you computer time well to get the best marks possible!
Wednesday, April 29, 2009
Sign into Facebook by creating a new identity (one of the characters!). You may need a secondary email account to do this.
Before you get too far into building a character, make a FRIEND REQUEST with "Mean Ol' Featherstone" - that's your teacher. The whole class will be linked to this page. You can 'FRIEND' other classmates, as well, of course.
Fill in the FACEBOOK PAGE as if YOU ARE the character. Include pictures, likes, dislikes, etc...maybe links or lists that apply. Explore the platform, but make everything suitable for that character!
Tuesday, April 14, 2009
First off, read an Autobiography of our class novel's author, Rodman Philbrick. http://teacher.scholastic.com/writewit/bookrev/bio.htm
1) How old was he when he was first published? How long did this take?
2) What do you think makes him a good writer?Next, today's blog asks you to find images that fit our class novel. Use an image search site like google image, choose your key words carefully, and select the best pictures possible.
Find an image that fits each of the following. Put them in today's blog.
C) Little Face
D) The Proov Girl
E) A Monkey Boy
For each, put a heading. Explain why each picture fits the character.
Tuesday, March 31, 2009
BEFORE continuing with today's blog, BE SURE that you finished last week's blog. Many didn't, and I will be marking your blogs again very soon (before calculating your midterm mark).
Click on your face to the right under 'followers' to see what I will see when I mark you! BE SURE YOU ARE CAUGHT UP!!! Check the various blog days below or cross check with a neighbour to be sure!
You have researched a topic that is related to the novel (as assigned in class).
1) Type your write up as a new blog entry. Use sentences and paragraphs - proper english language use, please!
2) Edit carefully! Use the spell check. Have others help. You will be marked on this!!!
3) Make the format/layout attractive! Paste in at least one picture that will add to your blog.Done early? Research the novel, the author, or one of the other topics on the sheet that interests you!
Monday, March 23, 2009
Today we explore a sub-genre of fiction known as Cyberpunk!
Before we begin a) read the 'tips' on the right and b) read 2 NEW classmates' entries and comment upon them.
Read this description of Cyberpunk.
Definition of Cyberpunk
"Cyberpunk" is a sub-genre of Science fiction. It deals with slightly futuristic settings where computers, cybernetics and technology have affected our society. Often these worlds are dark and damaged - sometimes called "Dystopias". The stereotypical cyberpunk novel is positively dripping with chromed artificial limbs, bizarre prostheses used to ill ends, futuristic slang and lingo, crazed artificial intelligences and genetic manipulation run amok. The concept is more subtle than that, however. The underlying aesthetic is often one of going beyond the flesh. Drugs are a prominent feature of many cyberpunk books as are powerful Corperations and government powers, "underground" subcultures, as well as a variety of vices and crimes.
The most famous Cyberpunk novel, Neuromancer by W. Gibson, has a character named Case that "jacks" into the Matrix not just for work, but for liberation from the "meat"--the ability to play unfettered in a purely mental arena, a "consensual hallucination." Similar ideas have been used in the Matrix movies. Bladerunner, Aeon Flux and Total Recall are other examples of cyberpunk influenced movies. There are computer games and Anime that involve this genre, as well. Ideas from this can also be found in our class novel, The Last Book in the Universe.
A) Watch this scene from Bladerunner:
1. List the futuristic things you noticed about this clip.
2. What mood is created? How does the film maker set the mood?
B) Read the "book back" and comments about the novel Neuromancer.
3. What types of things about this book might appeal to you? (Pick 2 or 3.)
C) Find a Cyberpunk Character!
i) Go to google.com and research images. Try words like "cyberpunk, science fiction, cyborg" etc. in your search.
ii) Find a picture of someone you don't recognise (ie. not a movie star) that you like that fits the idea of 'cyberpunk' as discussed above!
iii) Copy the picture into your blog.
4) Write a character description about the 'person' you selected. Some considerations: What is their name? Physical traits/powers? Personality? What do they like to do? Do they have a job? Do they have friends? Enemies? What does their home look like? Hobbies? Favourite food? Music?
5) Edit this CAREFULLY before posting. Have others proofread it!
D) Done early? Look up more Cyberpunk related "stuff" at http://project.cyberpunk.ru/idb/scifi.html or http://top100.cyberpunk.co.uk/ or http://en.wordpress.com/tag/cyberpunk/ or http://misery.subnet.at/2007/index.html or through google.
Wednesday, March 4, 2009
Famous people, big money, product promotion and your thoughts about these ideas are what you will be exploring today!
A) Here you will find some pictures (9 pages of them, actually) of celebrity advertisements. Look through them.
i) Which one do you like the most? Why? Would you buy the product?
Paste their advertisement below your answer.
ii) Which one do you like the least? Why?
Watch these celebrities promote a video game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bXkvhzYt-k
B) Here is a list of some of the top celebrity endorsements:
Do you think celebrities deserve this kind of money? Why/why not?
C) Read the following article on celebrity endorsements:
i)How much influence do celebrities have over what people buy?
ii) Do you think this is too much or too little?
D) i) Copy a picture of the famous person you are studying to your blog.
ii) Copy a picture of a product they might promote. (hint: use google images to find almost any product or person)
iii) Tell us why you chose this product.
Done early? Research your famous person or find images of them that you might use in your project!
Tuesday, February 24, 2009
B) Read through this page.
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
As mentioned in class, you need a jpeg picture of your face to do this one.
1) Download your picture to your desktop for easy access.
2) Sign up for an account at http://www.faceinhole.com/
3) Look through the many different "people" you can put your face on. Choose one that you want to use.
4) Click on it and follow the instructions. Manipulate your face to make it match the "hole".
5) Save it on your account - then you can save it to your desk top.
6) Put the picture on today's blog. (If you wish to permanently save any pictures, save them to your G drive).
7) Write an entry under your picture. You may want to address such topics as
- Why did you choose that picture?
- How did it turn out, in your opinion?
- What do you think about the famous person you have used?
- Did you have fun creating your picture?
You may use this new picture as your profile picture, if you like (especially if you don't have one yet).
Monday, February 9, 2009
1) Please sign up to be a "Follower" of this blog. That way your class mates can explore your blog.
2) Read AT LEAST 2 other blogs from 2 or more of your classmates. Please comment on at least 2 of them!
Follow this link and read quotes about Valentine's Day. Choose one you like and
a) copy it onto your Blog
b) tell us why you like it/why you chose it
4) Check out and read the article at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11272013/
What do you think is the best gift to recieve for Valentine's day? Why?
What is the worst gift you have ever heard of for Valentine's day? Tell us the story.
(post your ideas on this/answers on your blog)
5) a) What would be the ideal Valentine's Day for you with a partner?
b) What would be the ideal Valentine's Day for you if you were single?
If you finish this, here are some fun activities:
Look up "worst Valentine's gifts" on a search engine.
Look up "history Valentine's day" on a search engine.
Thursday, February 5, 2009
Your task today is to create your own blogger profile and set up your first blog. Play around with the site, fill in your profile, check out other blogs on the net, etc.
When you have a basic first blog, respond to this one by hitting "comments" and include the http of your blog. It will be included on a list for the class to see and check out.
If you have extra time, look at blogs on the net that deal with subjects you are interested. Use an internet search site and plug in the word "blog" and key words that interest you, such as a band name, topic, famous person, etc.
Happy Friday Blogday!